Adding people to small groups
In this article
Adding group members in ChurchSuite
To add a contact or child to a small group, head to the Groups section of the Small Groups module. Note how you can switch to View past, active and future groups.
Select the group from the list. On the group's "View" page click on the Members tab and click Add member.
On the Add member pop-up, use the People search to search for contacts, children or by tag (multiple people). The matching results will auto-suggest names as you begin to type. You can optionally add multiple People in the same process. You can also assign Roles - see the related support article for further details on adding roles. Roles change colour from grey to blue when selected.
Members can be added to the group with a Pending or Active Status. Active group members are joined immediately to the group and can view the group's Members list in My ChurchSuite (subject to the group's 'member list visibility' setting); Pending group members are added, but must first be approved (set active) by the group's leaders before they can view the group's member list in My ChurchSuite. Pending status group members will not receive group emails sent by fellow group members from within My ChurchSuite until they are set active. They will also not be visible on the group's member list to other group members until they are set active. Subject to "role permissions" small group leaders can set active pending group members from within My ChurchSuite, or a module User can set them active here from the group's "View" page when adding or editing a member.
Finally, you can optionally tick to Send a confirmation email to the person/people being added to the group and also to any members assigned with a Role that has "Notify of sign-up" enabled e.g. the Leaders. See the related support article for further details about adding roles and role permissions.
From the Members tab, you can easily perform common actions for individual members...
...or use the batch Actions for multiple selected members.
Adding group members in My ChurchSuite
Group members with certain role permissions can manage the Members list of their small group in the My Groups section of the member-facing My ChurchSuite. Typically this would be the group's leaders (i.e. those assigned with a "Leader" role), but you may wish to assign Edit Group Details permissions to other roles too. See the related support article for further information on adding and assigning small group roles.
Only contacts or children that already exist in your ChurchSuite database can be added to groups. For those not yet in your ChurchSuite account, you could consider directing them to your website's small group sign-up embed page, which will add new group members with a Pending or Active status depending on the group's default member status setting.
To add a new group member to My ChurchSuite click the Add member button at the top of the Members list.
On the Add member pop-up use the Person search to find the person you wish to add; as you type the search will auto-suggest people from your Address Book and Children module. You can optionally assign pre-existing Roles. Roles and role permissions can only be managed by a Small Groups module User in ChurchSuite, and can only be assigned or unassigned in My ChurchSuite.
Group members with Edit Group Details permission can Set as active any Pending status members. Only Active status members can view the group's Members list (if the member list is set to be visible in the group's settings); Pending status members are unable to view the Members list until they are approved and set as active. Members with Edit Group Details role permissions can also Remove group members.
Adding group members through group sign-up
In addition to module users and leaders being able to add people to groups in ChurchSuite and My ChurchSuite (explained above), ChurchSuite also has group sign-up functionality enabling people to sign up and join small groups of their choice.
To sign up for a group Sign Up must first be enabled for that group and the sign-up period active. Sign Up settings are set on a group-by-group basis with granular control to allow people to Sign up through...
- the Group page - a web page for each group that can be shared in communications or promoted on social media
- the member-facing My ChurchSuite
- Connect at your in-person services, meetings and events using the Groups List application
- your website Embed - you can easily embed maps and group lists on a page on your website, enabling those looking for a group to browse the list of groups available
On a group-by-group basis, you can also control
- the Sign Up Start and End date range (the end date is optional - signup can remain active indefinitely)
- the group Capacity, further sign-up will be prevented when the group reaches capacity, although a module user (in ChurchSuite) or group members with Edit Group Details role permission (in My ChurchSuite) can override group capacity and add additional members
- the Member List visibility for active group members
- the default Member Status of new members when they sign up, enabling you to operate an approval process whereby pending status sign-ups have to be set as active before they join the active group member list. Small group module users (in ChurchSuite) and group members with Edit Group Details role permission (in My ChurchSuite) can approve (set as active) members to the group or remove them from the group. Removal notifications are not sent to the removed person, so leaders would need to contact the person to let them know.
Here's an example of the public-facing Group page with sign-up enabled and active.
Keeping on top of new group members and sign-ups
Small Groups module users can view a list of those who have joined or left small groups using the Member Recent Changes report found in the module's Reports section. The report can be filtered within a range of Dates and for a Joined or Left Change.