What happens when I archive a contact?
The Archived section of the Address Book and Children modules makes it possible for you to temporarily retain key details about people who are no longer actively involved in your church. Appropriate use of the archived section might include retaining someone's details when they have gone travelling and intend to return to the church, or where there is a legal obligation to retain a record of their involvement. When an individual has left the church and does not intend to return, you should delete their details rather than archiving them.
In this article
As Data Controller it's your legal responsibility to ensure that you only retain data that is kept up-to-date and relevant to your organisation. Data for which you no longer have a lawful basis to process should be deleted.
What happens when you archive a contact?
When you archive a contact in the Address Book, the following changes are made to their record:
Address Book module
- The contact's status is changed from 'active' to 'archived and can be reinstated again if required.
- Access to My ChurchSuite is disabled and all of their contact details are set to invisible in the "Public Communication" section.
- All Tags are removed from the contact (only active contacts show in Tags). A changes log is recorded detailing all fixed and smart tags that are removed. Fixed tags are not reinstated if the archived contact is reinstated, but Smart Tags will if the reinstated contact satisfies the tag conditions.
- Key Dates, Notes, Custom Fields, communication logs and change logs are retained.
- The contact is removed from any active Flows they were in process.
- The contact will not appear in the results of any reports, except the "Archived Contacts" report (see later in this article).
- Relational links to spouse/partner and children in ChurchSuite are severed, but spouse/partner and children contacts are retained unless also archived individually. The archived contact will show "At this Address" in strikethrough when viewing the profiles of other household members.
- Communication preferences and Privacy options remain unchanged, although the archived contact will not be sent any communications, nor be visible in My ChurchSuite.
- Links to any ChurchSuite User account are severed, but the user account is retained and remains active until set inactive or deleted.
- No other changes made. Any linked children remain linked to the archived parent contact.
- Contact will no longer appear in the contact list when adding service attendance data.
- Past attendance history will be retained.
- Contact will be removed from all future events where they have signed up for a free ticket. All historic event sign-ups are retained against the events and remain linked to the archived contact.
- If the event is in the future and the ticket is paid for, the sign-up record and payment will be retained and linked to the archived contact.
- Past event sign-up history for free and pay tickets will be retained against the event and against the contact.
- Past invites and event check-in attendance history will be retained.
Small Groups module
- Contact is removed from all groups.
- Historic group attendance data for the contact is retained across all groups, regardless of whether the group is archived or active.
- Contact is removed from any small group roles held.
- A "Left Group" Key Date is recorded against the contact before it is archived.
- Contact is removed from any future dates where they are due to be serving on a rota.
- Contact is removed from any ministries they are a part of.
- Past dates where the contact has served on a rota are retained.
- Contact is removed from any rota roles held.
- A "Left Ministry" Key Date is recorded against the contact before it is archived.
- Giver is changed from being linked to a contact to being an unlinked ("non-member") giver.
- Name, address and email details are copied over from the contact who has been archived.
- The contact is removed from all instances of being a booking contact on all past and future bookings; otherwise the bookings remain in tact.
- The contact is removed from all instance of being a booking "Type" or "Resource" overseer.
- Payment history for booking charges paid by the contact are remain in tact, even though the booking contact (booking customer) has been archived.
- All access to My ChurchSuite is revoked, but their password is not deleted. If they are reinstated and set active, they will be able to resume logging in with their original password.
- The archived contact ceases to appear in "Search for others".
Archiving children in your Children module broadly follows the same consequences as Address Book contacts, listed above. In addition...
- Children are removed from all Children groups.
- Children Group attendance history is always retained (even when a child is deleted)
- Children remain linked to their parents in the Address Book (if parent is is Address Book)
How to archive a contact
There are several places within the Address Book and/or Children module where users can archive contacts or children individually or in batches. In the examples below we demonstrate within the Address Book, but the methods work in exactly the same way in the Children module.
1. From the contacts list, here in the Address Book, select Archive from the cog actions menu next to a contact's name in the Contacts list...
2. View a contact's Profile and select Archive from the top right corner of their profile page...
3. You can "bulk archive" multiple contacts using the batch Actions available on a Contacts list. As you tick one or more contacts in the list, the Actions menu is displayed. Simply select Archive from the batch actions list.
4. You can also "bulk archive" multiple contacts that have been added to a Tag using the module's Advanced Search to filter the Contacts list by that Tag...
...and then use the batch Actions - as you tick one or more contacts in the list, the Actions menu is displayed. Simply select Archive from the batch actions list.
Viewing archived contacts
You can easily view archived contacts that have not yet been deleted. In the Address Book's Contacts list switch the View filter from Active to Archived.
Note: Archived contacts cease to show in all report results and search results - only active contacts are included in the functionality of ChurchSuite's modules.
Archived contacts will still show in the At this address meta-information of an active contact's profile page - shown in strikethrough.
The Archived Contacts (and Archived Children) reports are often useful, designed to filter a list of archived contacts (or children) and the matching list can then be exported to a CSV/PDF file, printed, or emailed as report.
Reinstating an archived contact to make them active again
While viewing the archived Contacts list in Address Book, you can reactivate an archived contact by selecting Set as active from the cog actions menu on the right-hand side of their name in the list.
...or click Set as active on the archived person's Profile page.